Here Are Our 5 Favorite DocuSign Alternatives for Secure E-Signatures
Many individuals and businesses turn to DocuSign to e-sign documents. Their extensive e-signing and document management offerings and expressive security functionality have attracted over a billion paying customers. However, complaints of poor customer service and usability are common and cause people to consider other options.
SignWell is a fully-featured, affordable DocuSign alternative, and we know precisely what people look for in a good e-signing tool—Just ask our 61,000 and counting happy customers!
In this guide, we’ll discuss our top five DocuSign alternatives to give you a better understanding of what to consider when evaluating e-signing tools.
What is DocuSign?
DocuSign is a popular e-signature tool with a lot going for it. It is designed to enhance operational productivity in document management and e-signature collection.
The tool is known for strict security protocols, time-saving features like auto-fill, and the ability to create custom templates. DocuSign’s customer service and user experience have received mixed reviews. They also deliver an ID verification feature to meet eIDAS regulations and the option to witness the signing of high-value agreements.
Like we said, there are a lot of positives with DocuSign—but it’s far from a perfect tool.
Why Look for DocuSign Alternatives?
We turned to review sites like G2 and TrustRadius to understand some of the most common reasons users look for DocuSign alternatives:
Unsatisfactory User Experience
The customer reviews concerning user experience have not been great, especially for unfamiliar customers who found navigation challenging. These were some of the comments:
- System glitches: Customers frequently experienced performance issues using DocuSign. When they contacted support for assistance, they were told to re-try, use a different browser, or use incognito.
- Unreliable and slow: Signature requests occasionally take up to 30 minutes to send.
- Poor usability: Difficulty in completing tasks like custom workflows. And hard to understand documentation.
- Delays to their signing process: Several reviewers said their signature requests ended up in the spam filters and caused hold-ups.
Customer support and service experience comments included:
- Unsatisfactory customer support. A customer attempted several times to have an ongoing account issue resolved and received little response or a resolution.
- Unprofessional. Another customer complained that their billing needed to be corrected. They were then asked to pay twice to amend DocuSign’s quarter accounts.
- Charged for an unused seat. One customer advised that they removed a user, but the “seat” still appeared on their account. They were told the system would update automatically, but, it didn’t, and the customer was overcharged. Support then confirmed that a refund would be credited to their account in 10-14 days. The customer was still waiting three weeks later.
- Poor communication between departments. Another customer said they had been waiting for a refund after opening two support cases. When opening chat sessions and new help tickets, they were told their issue had been resolved and received a customer satisfaction survey
Other customers were unhappy with the pricing, lengthy contracts, billing practices, and hidden information in the FAQ regarding envelope limits.
Criteria to Consider when Choosing DocuSign Alternatives
- Intuitive interface: Many users will be unfamiliar with and possibly reluctant to use e-signing over wet signatures. Several customers found DocuSign difficult to use, so ensure you choose a tool that encourages uptake by being self-explanatory and intuitive for e-signing and document management.
- Cross-platform: Receipts will access and sign your documents from various platforms, and rendering or opening issues may occur. Ensure your tool supports different file types and multiple platforms and devices.
- Legal compliance and security: Most e-signing platforms will be legally binding. However, global and industry-specific compliance is recommended; for example, HIPAA compliance for healthcare or GDPR EU law for handling and personal data protection. Look for SOC 2 Type 2 security and encryption like TLS and AES-256.
- Customization: Branding options are great for professionalism while including your company face on all documents. It can enhance the signing experience and boost your brand and reputation.
5 Best DocuSign Alternatives
Here are our best five alternatives:
- SignWell: Best for affordable e-signatures and an intuitive API.
- PandaDoc : Best for CPQ software.
- Dropbox Sign: Best for solopreneurs using Dropbox.
- signNow: Best for different e-signing options.
- RightSignature: Best for hand-drawn e-signing.
Best for Intuitive and Affordable E-Signatures
SignWell is a simple, modern e-signature tool that packs in time-saving features for businesses and individuals.
You can use SignWell to create document workflows, sign documents, and manage outstanding documents—all from one interface. Custom templates cut down on busy work, while audit reports help you ensure compliance and accuracy.
Speaking of compliance, SignWell is fully compliant with U.S. and international e-signature laws, so you can rest easy knowing that your signatures are legally binding.
- Document signing: Get legally-binding e-signatures effortlessly with just a few clicks. Our platform is fully compliant with both U.S. and international e-signature laws and certifications and documents are securely archived to protect against unauthorized alterations.
- Document workflows: Track outstanding signatures and select signature orders to get your workflows flowing smoothly.
- Audit reports: Receive comprehensive audit trials, including timestamps and document activity details that exceed U.S. international e-signature law requirements.
- Custom templates: Turn your most popular documents into reusable templates to speed up your document flow process.
- App integrations: SignWell has a 5,000+ app integration selection. Our API brings e-signature functionality to any website or tool.
- E-Signature API: Bring all of SignWell’s e-signing features to your own applications with our intuitive and affordable API.
SignWell provides a free forever plan that includes one sender, one template, and three documents per month. You’ll also have access to notifications and reminders.
We offer three paid plans: Personal ($8/month), Business ($24/month), and Enterprise (custom). The Personal plan is perfect for solopreneurs seeking an affordable solution to send unlimited documents. The Business and Enterprise plans cater to teams and provide extra sender support.
- Free forever plan
- Free developer account
- Unlimited sign requests across all plans
- AES-256 and TLS encryption
- Responsive customer support
- Limited features on free account
Best for CPQ Software
PandaDoc offers a range of features for creating, managing, and e-signing documents. Its intuitive interface and great customer support make it a popular choice for businesses of all sizes.
- Advanced quote tracking: This feature helps you drive growth with extensive views of your quoting pipeline. You’ll learn when quotes were opened and identify bottlenecks.
- Automated e-signature tracking: Their embedded easy-to-follow audit trail includes proof of when a document was signed and who by.
- Contract and proposal creation: Access 1000+ templates to send invoices or agreements quickly.
PandaDoc’s pricing is based on monthly seat costs with no extra fees.
There are three plans—Essentials ($19/user/month), Business ($49/user/month), and Enterprise (custom). Business offers unlimited document uploads and e-signatures, document analytics, and custom branding.
- 14-day free trial
- CRM, Zapier, and Salesforce integrations
- Unlimited number of team workspaces
- Some security and compliance features are only available on their annual plan
3. Dropbox Sign
Best for Solopreneurs Using Dropbox
Dropbox Sign is a part of the Dropbox product suite, so it’s an ideal choice if you’re already using Dropbox. It integrates well with popular tools, including Google, SharePoint, and HubSpot.
- Hire and onboarding: Dropbox Sign helps make your hiring and onboarding processes more efficient by making non-disclosure agreements, offers letters, and other hiring documents easier to turn around.
- Agreement management: Manage all types of real estate agreements for buyers, sellers, agents, financing, and more.
- Financial document processing: Process financial documents, including loans, grant applications, and invoices.
Here is what you can expect to pay monthly when committing annually. Dropbox Sign doesn’t have a free plan, but for 30 days, you can use it for free.
- Great for team collaboration
- Recover files or restore your account for up to 180 days
- Generous storage space allowances
- Newbies may experience a slight learning curve using the e-signing feature
Best for Different E-Signing Options
signNow is ideal if you want a tool with different options to e-sign. Some of their stand-out features include multiple language options to allow signers to review and sign documents in their native tongue and online notarization to save time visiting the office.
- Multiple e-signing options: Your signers can e-sign by drawing, uploading a signature, or typing it from their mobile or desktop.
- Signing orders: Define signature orders, set up reminders for signers, and add document expiry dates to keep the process moving efficiently.
- Document preparation: Create documents using drag-and-drop fields and assign them to signers.
SignNow offers four plans—Business ($8/user/month), Business Premium ($15/user/month), Enterprise ($30/user/month), and Business Cloud ($50/user/month).
There’s a 7-day free trial for all plans.
- Enterprise-grade security available
- Custom branding functionality
- 7-day free trial
- No free plan
Best for Hand-Drawn E-Signatures
RightSignature offers the option to write e-signatures for more natural-looking signing on any document. It makes adding various forms of notation, like initials and dates, easy to add.
- Multi-party signing: Specify signing order when sending a document to people signers.
- Bulk sending: RightSignature lets you send documents several documents at once via email or a signing link for mass distribution.
- Team-wide collaboration: This feature allows teams to share templates, generate reports, and view usage statistics for easier collaboration.
RightSignature has two plans—RightSignature Advanced ($60/month) and ShareFile Premium ($125/month)—each with a 30-day free trial.
Both plans offer advanced features like hand-drawn and text-to-signature options, knowledge-based authentication, and reusable templates.
- One-click document preparation
- Step-by-step guided signing
- Bank-level data security
Choose SignWell for a Simple, Modern Experience
Millions of people use DocuSign—and we can assume that many receive the value they’re looking for and are happy to pay the fees. However, according to many reviews, issues include the high price tag, performance issues, and unhelpful staff. Fortunately, several great alternatives deliver comparable offerings at affordable prices.
At SignWell, we keep our customers happy with low pricing, responsive customer support, and a modern, streamlined e-signing experience. Add signatories, create workflows, build templates, and cut down on paperwork.
Sign up for free today.
Sign with a team that knows what you need.
Putting a signature on a document shouldn’t be hard. The SignWell mission? Simplify how documents get signed for millions of people and businesses.Get Started Today
businesses served, so far...
total documents signed
customer support satisfaction